Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Ugly Mermaid

So I've had my SCA registered device for some years now.  When it was originally sent in it was sent back because it was judged that the trident wasn't big enough.  So someone else re-drew it to make the trident bigger.  And now my official device looks like this:


Azure, a mermaid proper sustaining a trident bendwise, a gore Or.


Suffice it to say, that's not how I envisioned her!  So when I wanted to paint a banner for myself to hang at events and in camp I decided to give her a little more presence.  I also wanted to give her a little historical flair so I gave her a tail that mimics the tail of the "Mermaid of Zennor" on The Mermaid Chair, a wooden bench dated from 1400-1500 with a mermaid carved on its side found in the church of St. Senara in the Cornish village of Zennor in England:


The Mermaid Chair


The Carving

And here are the results!  I used plain white broadcloth and painted it with outdoor craft paint.  If I were to do it again I would use a canvas material as she has a tendancy to curl up with the broadcloth, but the most important part is that I love her design.  She truly makes me happy!

Here she is hanging in my tent at Pennsic:



No comments:

Post a Comment